Sunday, September 30, 2012

Faux Vegan MoFo

Some of you may be familiar with NaNoWriMo, or as it's said by people who like to use complete words, National Novel Writing Month. (I didn't know about it until November '11 when a Peace Corps friend took on the challenge.) Each November, thousands of people across the country pledge to write a novel in a month, and they band together (in the online sense) on the NaNoWriMo site, sharing successes, frustrations, and daily word counts. It's a pretty cool idea, and one that I may try someday.

Along those lines, there is also the Vegan MoFo, or Vegan Month of Food, where food bloggers pledge to write 20 to 31 postings in the month of October that center on vegan food. Last year, I was thoroughly entertained and impressed by the efforts of others to post almost every day on their blogs. Many people had a funky theme going on. Creativity permeated the online vegan scene and I got oodles of wonderful cooking ideas from minds much more adept in the kitchen.  (Plus the contests and giveaways are CRAZY! I haven't won anything -- yet -- but it's exciting entering.) :)

I was kinda/sorta considering doing the Vegan MoFo thing this year, but at the last minute  -- last night, in fact -- I realized that the posts can't be just about anything vegan, but have to center on food. So I didn't enter my name on the Vegan MoFo list, as I like to blog about whatever's on my mind, and very often that doesn't have anything to do with food.

Thus, you won't find SSW on the impressive list of 600+ bloggers at Vegan MoFo. Instead, I'm going to do the Robert-Frost-two-roads-diverged-in-a-wood thing and take the less traveled route. I'm calling it "Faux MoFo," which, now that I write it, looks like a strongly-worded insult.

I've got a busy month ahead, so I'm trying to decide what my writing goal is even as I type these words. I think I'll go for ... hmmm ... 10 posts in one month, rather than the MoFo 20-minimum. (If you saw our month, you'd understand the relatively low goal.) If I can manage more than 10, I'll be feeling pretty darn full of myself.

For any Vegan MoFo'ers out there, I am really looking forward to enjoying all the wonderful themes you've been hinting at in the last week. I'll just be standing awkwardly on the side, like the dorky little sister pretending to hang with the cool kids.


2 comments:

  1. OK, so I just heard it is indeed kosher for me to blog about non-food stuff for Vegan MoFo. So I've officially signed my name on their site. Let the games begin. (And may the odds be ever in your favor.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm excited to see what October brings on Suburban Snow White. (And the offer still stands for the Sweet & Sara Marshmallows if need be.) ;)

    ReplyDelete